Ohau C is a hydro station located in the Mackenzie Basin, North Otago, New Zealand.
It has four 55.5 megawatt generating units, and a generation output of up to 212 megawatts.
Ohau C generates enough electricity each year for about 120,000 average New Zealand homes.
Ohau C is a twin station with Ohau B, and both hydro stations have the same generating capacity and use similar equipment.
Water from Lake Ruataniwha flows through Ohau B, then goes into the Ohau C canal, which takes it to the Ohau C power station and out into Lake Benmore.
Ohau C was built as part of the Upper Waitaki hydro scheme.
The Waitaki hydro scheme is made up of eight hydro stations on the Waitaki River in the South Island.
Meridian owns and operates six of the hydro stations, located from Lake Pukaki to Waitaki.
Ohau C was the last station built as part of the Upper Waitaki hydro scheme, which began in 1968.
The Upper Waitaki hydro scheme involved building four hydro stations, along with two dams and six canals totalling 56 kilometres. About 50 million cubic metres of material was excavated for the canals and other earth works.
Ohau B and C were the last hydro stations to be built on the Waitaki hydro scheme, completing the scheme 56 years after construction first began on the Waitaki dam and power station in 1928.
Solar panels put shine on farmer savings
05 June 2013
Meridian named as next SOE to be listed
16 May 2013
Give us a call on
or you can