The Ashhurst Volunteer Fire Brigade will now be equipped to respond more effectively to vehicle accidents with help from Meridian’s Power Up fund.
Previously the station has only been equipped with a fire tender which meant assistance at vehicle accident scenes was very limited. The purchase of rescue equipment to remove patients from vehicles means they are less reliant on back up from Palmerston North or Woodville fire crews.
Meridian Energy’s Power Up chair Mike Ohs says Meridian is very pleased to be able to provide such vital equipment to the local community.
“The purchase of this equipment will not only mean the emergency responders can remove people from vehicles faster, it also means that the fire crews in the surrounding districts are available to respond to other emergencies at the same time.”
Te Ahu A Turanga Marae will also benefit with funding to replace the fridge chiller and stoves in their kitchen.
The Manawatu and Tararua community groups to receive funding in the latest round of Power Up are:
- Ashhurst Community Trust - $6,389 for the purchase of five new sets of LED pole-mounted lights for the annual Ashhurst Village Christmas display.
- Ashhurst Volunteer Fire Brigade - $2,181 for equipment to assist with rescuing people from vehicle accidents.
- Hiwinui School - $2,135 for the purchase of spelling and coding resources.
- Ruahine Kindergarten Association – $3,655 for the purchase of play equipment.
- Woodville Districts Vision - $9,000 contribution towards replacement of the pool cover and rollers for Woodville swimming pool.
- Society for the Resilience and Engagement of the Community of Ashhurst and Pohangina (RECAP) - $1,150 for signage for the community gardens and orchard.
- Te Ahu A Turanga Marae Committee - $5,412 for the purchase of a new fridge chiller, stoves and mops.
- Woodville Playcentre - $1,430 for the purchase of play equipment.
Total funding awarded to Manawatu and Tararua community groups in this round: $32,000.
Power Up supports local projects in the areas near our wind farms and hydro stations. For more information on Power Up visit: www.meridianenergy.co.nz/powerup
Contact: Anna Vrede, External Communications, Meridian Energy, 021 195 3175