Mossburn School will be able to create a much-needed community sports facility with help from Meridian’s Power Up fund.
The project will convert an old school pool area into a space that can be used in all weather conditions and for multiple purposes. The facility will also be available for use by local community groups ensuring that recreational activities can be enjoyed by people of all ages.
Meridian Energy’s Power Up chair Peter Mason says the development of the facility will have positive benefits for all in the local community. Meridian is very pleased to be able to support Mossburn School on such a great initiative.
“The facility will mean the school now has a space for sport, wet day play, assembly, and production practises, and the Move to Learn programme has a dedicated space. For the wider community, they can look at encouraging participation in activities such as art, yoga, and book studies to keep the community active and connected.”
Northern Southland Medical Trust will also benefit with funding towards the purchase of a new defibrillator for the Lumsden Medical Centre. The current defibrillator, which is used very regularly, is now coming to the end of its lifespan. It is essential that the local community have access to such a critical piece of medical equipment given its relatively remote location.
The Northern Southland groups to receive funding in the latest round of Power Up are:
- Mossburn School - $7,500 towards the development of a school and community sports facility.
- Northern Southland Medical Trust - $13,000 towards the replacement of a defibrillator for the Lumsden Medical Centre.
- Northern Southland Community Resource Centre - $1,000 to help provide programmes for youth and elderly in the community.
- Northern Southland Community Gym – $1,734 for the purchase of a stationary bike.
- Dipton Golf Club - $450 to purchase an alarmed indoor wall cabinet to house a donated defibrillator.
Total funding awarded to Northern Southland groups in this round: $24,524.
Power Up supports local projects in the areas near our wind farms and hydro stations. For more information on Power Up visit: www.meridianenergy.co.nz/powerup
Contact: Anna Vrede
External Communications, Meridian Energy
021 195 3175