Recreational opportunities and local sports have received a helping hand in the Waitaki, following the latest round of Meridian’s Waitaki Power Up Fund.
Thanks to the work of dedicated volunteers, Waitaki Hydro Skate Park will soon begin the development of a skate park facility. It will be a valued addition to the already thriving Hydro Place playground area, a current activities hub for local kids and visitors. In the last Waitaki Power Up fund, the panel awarded funds for another project located by the playground, a new clay skills bike park which is currently underway.
Other popular local activities receiving funding included the ‘Let’s Get Riding’ programme run by Mackenzie Recreational Riders. The funds will support new riders and families to get active in the Mackenzie basin through a new dressage arena and jumps.
All twelve community groups receiving funding in the latest round of Meridian’s Waitaki Power Up Fund are:
- $40,000 for Waitaki Valley Community Society to purchase the apparatus for the skateboard facility.
- $25,000 to Waitaki Valley Vehicle Trust for a vehicle to transport older members of the community.
- $20,000 to Otematata Residents Association Inc for Otematata wetlands tracks near Lake Benmore.
- $20,000 to Omarama Golf Club for a new green’s mower.
- $9090.70 for the RNZ Plunket Trust to construct a fence at Kurow Plunket.
- $6,500 to the High Country Medical Trust for testing and diagnostic equipment at Twizel Medical Centre.
- $4,065 to Mackenzie Recreational Riders Group for development of the dressage area.
- $2,898 to Kurow Junior Cricket Club to purchase cricket club playing uniforms.
- $2,500 to Kurow Golf Club Inc for painting the exterior.
- $1,500 to Waitaki Recreational and yachting club for a VH Radio, and safety flags for events.
- $500 to AgriKids to send three Waitaki children to the AgriKids NZ competition in Hastings.
- $500 to help the regional winners in Twizel Drama Class get to the Shelia Winn Shakespeare Festival.
Total funding awarded to Waitaki community groups in this round came to $132,553.70. For more information about Power Up and the communities Meridian supports, visit meridianenergy.co.nz/powerup.
Meridian Energy Media Team
0800 948 843