Meridian’s White Hill Power Up fund will bring new life to the Castle Downs Wetland project, an initiative formed in partnership between members of Rural Women New Zealand and the Dipton Landcare Group. With a $3220 grant, the Southland wetlands will feature a picnic table, seats and new plants. The project team will also be able to engage a contractor to clear tracks so locals and visitors can explore the 12.4 hectares and learn about the importance of our native wetlands on the ecosystem. Project Coordinator Ann Irving says they are already seeing flocks of birds return to the area.
Other White Hill groups to receive funding in the latest round of Power Up are:
- Northern Southland College Board of Trustees: $7,370 to replace old projectors with TV’s and Chromecasts.
- Lumsden Balfour Kingston Presbyterian Church: $1,000 for the purchase of children’s toys and safety equipment.
- Northern Southland Community Resource Centre Charitable Trust: $1,000 to provide programmes to the elderly
- Lumsden Playcentre: $1690 for a dishwasher to help kitchen hygiene and functionality.
- Northern Southland Pony Club: $1000 for equipment hire to celebrate a community anniversary.
- Dipton Squash Club: $2500 to upgrade squash court lights to more efficient and energy-friendly LED lights.
- Dipton Volunteer Fire Brigade: $650 for portable lighting for the First Response medical van.
Total funding awarded to White Hill community groups in this round: $18,430
Power Up Applications are now open for the October 2019 White Hill Power Up funding round. The fund supports local projects around our assets that improve the lives of the communities where we work and live. Eligible applications include those that promote environmental awareness, sustaining and improve the quality of the environment in the community.
Projects can also be selected if they contribute to the sustainability of non-profit organisations/volunteer services. Others promote access to quality healthcare or promote life-long learning opportunities for all. Many, like the Dipton Squash Club and the Northern Southland Pony Club, foster the development of opportunities for sporting, social and recreational activities.
To apply and for more information, visit meridianenergy.co.nz/powerup.
Meridian Energy Media Team
0800 948 843