Your electricity meter
Sending us a meter reading
If you have a smart meter then we get your reading automatically, but if you don't have a smart meter then we aim to read your meter:
- in most urban areas, every second month
- in most rural areas, every 3–6 months.
How to read your meter
There are four kinds of meters, and you may have any or all of them at your place. It's important when sending us a reading that you understand how to read the meter so your reading is accurate.
If you’re having trouble reading your meter, contact us.
Getting a smart meter
Smart meters measure electricity in more detail than older style meters and enable two-way communication between the meter and the utility company. For you, this means:
- You’ll get bills based on actual reads (not estimates)
- No need for frequent visits from a meter reader
- Faster turnaround times for reconnection
- Access to better data that means you can keep a closer eye on how much electricity you use and be more energy-efficient