Here’s how you go solar
To go solar, you will need a photovoltaic or PV system, which includes solar panels and solar specific equipment such as an import/export meter.
You’ll deal with up to four organisations when you go solar:
- A solar equipment supplier of your choice
- Your local electricity network company
- Your electrician
- Us – Meridian. Sign up as a Meridian customer, if you’re not already
Once you’re signed up, these are the steps to going solar
- You work with your solar equipment supplier to pick the best solar system for your energy needs.
- You (or your electrician) get written approval from your electricity network before installing the system.
- You send us a copy of the approval so we can order an import/export meter. The meter allows both you and us to track the energy you import and the excess energy you export.
- Your electrician installs the solar system.
- We install the import/export meter. You (or your electrician) need to keep in touch with us so we can do this as soon as is practicable.
- Your electrician will organise for an electrical inspector to provide a Record of Inspection.
- You start generating your own solar energy.