Save money on hot water
You probably know that water heating makes up a big part of home power bills.
Here are a few easy strategies to help cut back on power consumption in this area:
- Reduce your hot water usage by fitting low-flow showerheads and flow control aerators
- Improve the efficiency of your hot water heating by insulating hot water cylinders and pipes, and considering our three simple steps to better hot water retention.
- Have a shower instead of a bath, and have shorter showers
- Do your laundry in cold water
- Use the eco-settings on your dishwasher
- Fix any dripping taps.
Different options also require different investments. Cheaper options may include wrapping and insulating your hot water cylinder and pipes. Options that cost more include installing more efficient hot water cylinders, or even using alternative power sources such as boilers and heat pump water cylinders.
“Reducing the amount of hot water you use can impact your power bill as much as, or more than, improving the efficiency of your water-heating equipment, often at a lower cost.” – Harley, Bruce (2012) Insulate and Weatherize, For Energy Efficiency At Home, Hot Water, 152