Meridian is committed to sustainability, it’s at the heart of our company. As New Zealand’s largest renewable electricity generator, our most significant climate action is our commitment to only generate 100% renewable energy.
To recognise our commitment, leadership and investment in renewable energy, we have designed a Green Finance Programme covering both existing and future issuances of debt instruments.
The Green Finance Programme is outlined in Meridian’s Green Finance Framework which is aligned with the following Market Standards:
- International Capital Markets Association Green Bond Principles (GBP)
- Climate Bonds Standard version 3.0 (CBS)
- Asia Pacific Loan Market Association Green Loan Principles (GLP),
Meridian knows how important it is for us to play our part to help combat climate change. Through our Programme we connect our company strategy to our financing requirements and provide investors with an opportunity to invest in a range of accredited green debt instruments. The proceeds of these will be allocated to finance or refinance sustainable projects and assets such as new or existing renewable energy projects or assets.
Meridian’s sustainability efforts are focused on areas that can achieve a meaningful difference. These focus areas are outlined in Meridian’s Climate Action Plan, which is centred around Reducing Impact, Working Together, Understanding Climate Change, and Creating Action.
This Climate Action Plan and further information on Meridian’s sustainability leadership and strategy can be found here.
The Meridian Green Finance Assets
Wind Asset Pool
- Climate Bonds Standards applied
- Green Debt allocated to Wind Pool: NZ Retail Bonds and EKF Facility
- Green Debt allocated to this pool has received CBS certification
Hydro Asset Pool
- Green Bond and Green Loan Principles applied
- Green Debt allocated to Hydro Pool: USPP, Wholesale Notes, Bank Facilities and Commercial Paper
- Green Debt allocated to this pool is now confirmed to be aligned with the GBP and GLP