EcoMatters is driving sustainability forward by swapping their diesel van out for an electric one.
Community Decarbonisation Fund
Looking to reduce carbon emissions within your community?
We’re taking our role in helping Aotearoa reach net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 seriously. We want to accelerate decarbonisation across the nation and want to help others do the same. We’re thrilled to introduce our Community Decarbonisation Fund – specifically designed to take the net proceeds from Certified and reinvest them into community group decarbonisation projects across Aotearoa.
We realise that prioritising decarbonisation is hard for community groups. But we also know that sustainability is a focus for more and more organisations every day. Whether it's by helping upgrade your community cars to electric vehicles or installing solar panels to generate renewable energy, Meridian wants to help you achieve a brighter and more sustainable future.
Decarbonisation Fund projects
Need some inspiration? Check out some of the projects we've funded to date.
Waipuna have installed 60 solar panels on their Community Youth and Child Services building.
South Island Rowing are installing solar panels to cover part of their power usage.
KidsCan are installing an EV charging station and replacing two of their fleet vehicles with electric vehicles.
To be eligible for funding, a decarbonisation community-based project will need to:
- be an electrification project (ie converting something to the use of electricity) or lead to the creation of new renewable generation; and
- be a project that either wouldn’t have otherwise occurred without this funding or a project that will occur sooner than it otherwise would have with this funding; and
- result in a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions; and
- contribute directly to communities across Aotearoa.
Key selection criteria includes:
- reducing greenhouse gas emissions within the community and for wider Aotearoa.
- creates benefits that do not currently exist
- delivering long-term solutions to issues (environmental, social, etc.)
- demonstrating the ability to make effective use of the funds
- having strong performance measures and robust governance structures in place that focus on outcomes
- using the Community Decarbonisation Fund to attract additional funding for projects that will have an even greater positive impact
- establishing a sustainable legacy for the project beyond the support of the Community Decarbonisation Fund
- provide opportunities to promote and demonstrate what the Community Decarbonisation Fund can achieve.