Sending us a meter reading
If you have a smart meter then we get your reading automatically, but if you don't have a smart meter then we aim to read your meter:
- in most urban areas, every second month
- in most rural areas, every 3–6 months.
Understanding the different types of meters
There are lots of different types of electricity meters which can change the way you access and use electricity. It can be confusing knowing which meter you have and what it means for you so we’ve broken down the types of meters for you.
Getting a smart meter
Smart meters measure electricity in more detail than older style meters and enable two-way communication between the meter and the utility company. For you, this means:
- You’ll get bills based on actual reads (not estimates)
- No need for frequent visits from a meter reader
- Faster turnaround times for reconnection
- Access to better data that means you can keep a closer eye on how much electricity you use and be more energy-efficient