Power Up Community fund
Empowering communities in our backyard
Meridian’s community fund Power Up supports local projects in the areas where we have wind farms and hydro stations. It’s one of the ways that we recognise the importance of local communities to our operations. Check out the map below for a small selection of where Power Up has made a difference to the local community.
Apply for funding online
If you live in a community near one of our generation assets then you can apply for funding.
Select your region below for more information and to apply online.
Power Up FAQs
When can you apply?
We hold one or two funding rounds each year to decide which projects we’ll support. We'll review your application during our funding rounds, following which we'll contact applicants to let them know the outcome.
How is funding allocated?
We review funding requests against the fund's objectives and a set of selection criteria to help us decide if the project supports sustainable community development. It's important to Meridian that community members help decide which projects we fund. Our funding panels are made up of a mix of Meridian staff and nominated community representatives.
If you have any questions, phone 04 803 2507 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Is my project eligible?
You can apply for funding if your project meets at least one of the Power Up Community Fund objectives. Your project must:
- promote environmental awareness and programmes that sustain and improve the quality of the environment in the community
- contribute to the sustainability of non-profit organisations or volunteer services
- promote life-long learning opportunities for all
- foster the development of opportunities for sporting, social and recreational activities
- contribute to programmes that will enhance the attractiveness of the appearance of the community
What are the selection criteria?
Your proposal must clearly outline what the outcomes and benefits of your project will be, and how your project will:
- contribute directly to the community
- generate benefits that do not currently exist
- contribute long-term solutions to issues
- foster the development of skills and capacity
- demonstrate the ability to make effective use of the funds
- have performance measures that focus on outcomes
- provide promotional opportunities
- use the fund to attract additional funding for the project
- demonstrate a sustainable future for the project beyond the support of the fund