The Waitaki Power Station was the last to be constructed in New Zealand without modern mechanical equipment. Over half a million cubic metres of material was excavated, almost entirely by pick and shovel.
It is a concrete arch dam with no spillway, but it’s designed to allow water to flow over the top if it floods.
The hydro station started generating electricity in 1935, with two 15-megawatt generators operating – enough to meet almost half of the South Island’s electricity needs at that time.
Three more generators were installed between 1940 and 1949, bringing the generation capacity up to 75 megawatts.
The remaining two units were constructed between 1952 and 1954. The whole power house was extended and a new inlet and outlet channel constructed to accommodate them.