Getting a smart meter
What is a smart meter & how do I know if I have one?
Smart meters are a modern version of an analogue meter, but they go the extra step in helping you to keep track of how much electricity your household is actually using.
Unlike an analogue meter, a smart meter records your electricity consumption at half-hour intervals and sends the data to your retailer (power company) each day.
Smart meters have been installed on a lot of New Zealand properties already. Smart meters are typically installed in the same place as the old analogue meter and are usually located on an exterior wall of your house.
If you're meter looks like the one on the right, you have a smart meter.
Why do I need a smart meter?
We're always looking for ways to improve our service to our customers. There are a number of benefits of having a smart meter on your property including:
- the ability to access our free online tools to easily monitor and manage your power bills and usage in one place.
- the ability to get more accurate bills as we will be getting up-to-date data from your meter, reducing the need to estimate your power usage.
- you'll no longer need to provide access to a meter reader as the meter communicates with us remotely.
You'll get access to our online tools
- Power usage
- Regular updates
- Smart alerts
What you need to know about smart meter installation
- During the upgrade, the power to your property will be turned off for approximately 45 minutes. If you're medically dependent on power please ensure you have made alternative arrangements during the installation period.
- Smart meters are installed in the same place as the old meter – as long as there’s enough room.
- You don’t need to be home while we replace your meter, as long as we can get access. If your meter is inside, we’ll be in touch. If for any reason we can’t complete the meter upgrade, we’ll leave a calling card explaining the reasons why.